Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Flushed with pride

I apologize for the skimpy blogging but yesterday, amidst the high heat and humidity, I was busy earning a merit badge in basic plumbing. You see, the shut-off valve to one of the toilets has had a slow leak for a long time. A few weeks ago I tried to fix it by replacing the valve packing. It didn't work too well and the valve kept up its slow leak.

So last night I get the bright idea to change the valve itself. Not a real hard repair but in the midst of removing the old valve, part of the pipe also came off. I'm beginning to think that my little repair will necessitate a not so little call to the plumber.

I run down to Lowe's. They are out of stock of precisely what I need. Hustle over to Home Depot. They have the right kind of fittings. Head on home.

About an hour later, I have successfully fixed the pipe and changed the valve. It ended up not being that hard but when the main water is shut off, you're lying on the floor next to the toilet and something breaks and you're not really sure how to fix it, time passes really slowly. Really slowly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home