Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Short people got no reason...

I am not a tall man. In my bare feet I stand a little over 5' 7". Most guys my size wouldn't mind being a few inches taller, if for nothing else to woo women like certain statuesque pseudonymous elvish bloggers.

Excessive height is not in my genetic make-up. In fact in my family, I am on the tall side. In everyday life there are some advantages to being rather tall. Reaching the top shelf in grocery stores. Being able to see in a large crowd. Faster promotions. Better first impressions. But there are real disadvantages too, I think.

I was once on a flight with a man who was probably 6' 10". I don't enjoy being in coach on a crowded flight but that was nothing compared to seeing a grown man wedging himself into a fetal position for the duration. I'm sure his back still aches.

Speaking of back aches, it seems to me that very tall people have a greater share of chronic back problems than those of us closer to the ground. And back aches are something which tend to stay with people a long time and cause their victims untold grief.

On a more mundane level, I don't see how those of NBA-type height sleep well in normal hotels. With a pillow at my head, I find that my feet are right at the bottom of the bed. I guess giants learn to sleep with cold feet.

I would also imagine that there are problems finding clothes to fit properly what with sleeve lengths and inseams. Or maybe the wrong proportions. Of course, that is a problem with shorter people as well.

There are some other problems I can think of but the point is that I am happy with being "just-right," or at least "just-right" for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home